Re: another silly question

Hi,

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006, nigel barker wrote:

> QUESTION
> I am going to enter individual sections in lts.conf for the clients with
> jp keyboards. Do I do it on the ltspserver or do I do it on Tjener?

For thin clients, you should do it on the LTSP server which serves them.

> CONFUSION (feel free to skip)
> I have a poor understanding of the relationship between tjener, the
> ltspservers, and workstations.

This picture explains a good part of it.

http://developer.skolelinux.no/arkitektur/arkitektur.html.en#AEN20

So thin clients (given 192.168 addresses) get everything from their thin
client server.  Workstations (with full software installed to disk) are
moreorless equivalent to a thin client server but with no thin clients to
serve.

> For example, I have one server whose clients (192.)all have japanese
> keyboards, so I set up a lts.conf on that server and did a [default]
> section only with a jp keymap. However when workstations (10.) come up,
> they ask whether I want to use X settings or the Gnome settings for the
> keyboard. I don't get how details from the lts.conf are percolating to
> the workstations.

If it's a workstation they shouldn't be as far as I'm aware.  The
workstation does take some info (eg dhcp) from the main server (tjener) but
I don't think keymap is one of them.

> Then I did the cups fix that Ralph suggested. I did it on Tjener, and that
> also fixed printing on an ltspserver, but not on the workstations, where I
> had to do it for each one.

That might be a config problem at your end or a bug.  If there is a
centralised cups network I would assume the workstations should use it the
same as the thin clients.  I might be wrong though -- it's not unheard of
:-)

Gavin