printing question

Hi All

I am struggling to get printing working.

Network printers installed via mac address on tjener work perfectly,
however, printers attached to LTSPservers, or to workstations, simply fail
to print, either from the local machine or via network.

Everything appears normal, print jobs appear to be printed without error,
but nothing comes out. A visit to localhost:631 on the ltspserver or
workstation which is connected to the printer shows the job as cancelled.
The same thing happens whether logged on as a user (ldap) or as root on
the local machine.

I am feeling stupid and about to get a lot of complaints since school is
about to start and I wasn't prepared for this. These printers have been
working with linux for years - HP LJ 4050 and Epson PM 3700C.

any help appreaciated!

nigel