Re: Any way to make gcompris use less space on the CD?

Am Freitag 18 August 2006 14:25 schrieb Petter Reinholdtsen:
> Spending 52 MiB of 700 MiB available on one application is quite a
> lot, so I hope we can trim it down a bit.

Hi Petter, I thought it was even more (in my memory, gcompris and
openoffice took 200 MB each on snofrix CD). I consider that much of the
space is used for sounds (partly even spoken words in multiple
languages).

Maybe the maintainer could change dependencies to gcompris-data
to  "recommended".

Some statistics (only base pck and data; no sounds):

$ du /usr/share/gcompris/ |sort -n |tail
1508    /usr/share/gcompris/boards/babyshapes/dog2
1772    /usr/share/gcompris/boards/leftright
1832    /usr/share/gcompris/boards/skins
2704    /usr/share/gcompris/boards/babyshapes
3128    /usr/share/gcompris/boards/paintings
4012    /usr/share/gcompris/boards/gcompris
6684    /usr/share/gcompris/boards/music/background
6912    /usr/share/gcompris/boards/music
31532   /usr/share/gcompris/boards
31956   /usr/share/gcompris/

apt-cache show gcompris-sound-en |grep Size
Installed-Size: 2816
Size: 2011172

apt-cache show gcompris-data |grep Size
Installed-Size: 35372
Size: 27045976

Seems like the data package already contains loads of graphics and
music - the only means of reduction I see here is
(a) try to use better/higher compression for images AND sound
(b) exclude some boards from the core package (modulization)

Regards
Ralf