Re: Call for artwork: boot screen with progress bar

[Ralf Gesellensetter]
> The version of splasy I tested worked alright with any kernel >2.6.
> The splashy screen just displays an image and a growing progress
> bar. If you hit ESC, you will get a text only console, so there was
> no need for a text frame.

Right.  I'm not sure if I am happy with such approach.  But then
again, I like text consoles. :)

I've started on a debian-edu-artwork package on alioth.  I suggest you
add one of your splashy themes into it, to make it easy to try both
splashy and usplash with an debian-edu/skolelinux theme.

usplash entered the debian archive yesterday, and splashy entered it
last week.

To test usplash and the debian-edu theme on etch or sid, install
usplash and debian-edu-artwork-usplash and reboot.

usplash is available from
<URL:ftp://ftp.se.debian.org/debian/pool/main/u/usplash/>.  A draft
version of debian-edu-artwork-usplash is available from
<URL:http://developer.skolelinux.no/~pere/debian/packages/>.

The current splash image can be seen on
<URL:http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/debian-edu/trunk/src/debian-edu-artwork/art/usplash/debian-edu-usplash.png?op=file&rev=0&sc=0>.
Yes, I know it is ugly, and hope someone with drawing skills can
replace it with a nice one.

Initial test with an image with 256 colors failed, so I believe the
splash image must use 16 color (4 bits).  That is the reason for the
strange colors.  I do not know how to edit the colors in gimp nor how
to start from scratch and add a reduced version of the skolelinux
logo.

The new usplash give us full control over the placement and colors of
the progress bar and text area. I've left the default values there,
and welcome other suggestions. :)

Friendly,