Re: iTALC "student control panel works in LTSP ??

On 6/28/06, Patrick Winnertz <patrick.winnertz@skolelinux.org> wrote:
Back...
Am Mittwoch, 28. Juni 2006 22:31 schrieb Steffen Joeris:
> Hi
>
> > The upstream author was quite busy this year to implement all features
> > for thin clients, so at least it is a good idea to offer him help.
>
> Wonderful news, I guess Florian, the other co-maintainer is also looking
> forward to a new upstream release.
Hopefully a new upstream release will come this summer.
ATM the basic functions of italc are available with ThinClients
(this "Basicfunctions" are: Watching the students desktop, kill games, kill
browsers, lock the screens of the pupils)
NOT working functions are: helping the students; showing the students your
desktop; showing the students a desktop of an student.

Fl_TeacherTool
http://www3.telus.net/public/robark/Fl_TeacherTool/
has all these features already working although it does not have as
much eye candy as ITALC. Maybe the author of ITALC can read my code to
help him with these features.
They are both coded in C++ but Fl_TeacherTool uses FLTK whereas looks
like ITALC uses Qt for the gui.

Hopefully this will work in the next upstream release. Maybe I can talk to the
author. :)

> > I suggest you and some other from Edubuntu and Debian-Edu should create
> > a task force (with the upstream author) to make that possible.
> >
> > As far as I know from Patrick Winnertz the source code if ITALC is not
> > very difficult to understand.
> >
> > So working together on an existing application saves manpower.
>
> There are already debian packages for italc. we were waiting for a new
> upstream release to include it and then it would also have Thin Client
> support, isn't this already included into the italc svn?
Yes, your are right.
The svn version of italc is able to handle ltspclients more or less
automatically.

mfg
Patrick