Re: autopartkit vs. partman-auto

On Tuesday 20 June 2006 22:32, Steffen Joeris wrote:
> 22:00 < pere> white: if partman-auto can be fixed to do the things we
> need, I do not have any reason to keep autopartkit. But that include
> LVM support, creating ext3 fs with resize_inode option and scaling the
> partition sizes with the disk size.

LVM support is production ready, although of course I don't know if the
implementation meets with your requirements.
The main limitation of partman-auto is that it only works on a single
harddisk and thus is not really useable to set up multi-disk systems.
For the rest it is quite flexible and can be customized by adding the
recipes you need.

As for the resize_inode option, Otavio has given you the answer as to
libparted status. Realizing an alternative solution in partman would
probably mean someone from debian-edu will have to do the work (or find
someone) as we don't really have a lead partman maintainer.
If you can provide a patch that does not result in important regressions,
that would be fine. But I seem to remember from an earlier thread that
pere's proposed solution would mean losing the progress bar for ext3
formatting.

Cheers,
FJP