xaw8

Hello all,

   Currently the X Strike Force is preparing to upload X11R7 to unstable.
Currently we have no package available for libXaw8, which we would like to
remove from the archive. The reason you are all being emailed is that one
of your packages (listed by maintainer below) either depends or
build-depends on libxaw8.

   The reason for wanting to kill xaw8 is to comply with the goals of
upstream. Xaw8 is identical to Xaw7 except that it adds support for Xprint.
Xprint, however, is being largely abandoned by upstream. The goal for
xprint was to provide a unified drawing interface for programs to draw to
the screen and the printer. However, it turns out that the x11 drawing
functionality is not a good way to implement this. In addition, there are
internal architecture problems with xprint (related to the internals of x
servers). The goal for upstream is to replace xprint with cairo, which will
provide a more sane api for drawing to both the screen and paper.

   Because xaw8 is functionally equivalent to xaw7 in every way except for
the xprint suppot, if your app does not need this specific feature then you
can safely depend on xaw7, leaving us to remove xaw8 from the archive. If
any of you do specifically need this support, please let us know (M-F-T set
to debian-x@lists.debian.org) so that we can support you as necessary. If
you don't need this specific feature though, *please* let us know so we
are sure we can kill this package without harming anyone.

   As a side note to the qa team, I'll be NMU'ing the 7 packages that are
orphaned and depend on xaw8, so you guys don't have to worry about it.

 - David Nusinow

Daniel Baumann <daniel.baumann@panthera-systems.net>
   xmem

Bastian Blank <waldi@debian.org>