Re: Devices /dev/cdrom etc.

RalfGesellensetter wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> today, I tried for the first time to playback a VCD on a Skolelinux
> Sarge workstation - and eventually, I succeeded.
>
> The biggest obsctacle was to correct the default path to cdrom drive
> in .xine/config (or similair) from
>
> /dev/cdrom to
> /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/cd or similair.
>
> This is due to automount / udev I think. These changes are virtually
> necessary to all multimedia applications, or did I miss anything? Is
> this kernel dependend? Isn't there a central setting file to determine
> device paths?

This is devfs path, not udev. I guess you are running the 2.4-kernel

please try with a 2.6-kernel, with udev installed, and devfs disabled.

There should be some symlinks from /dev/cdrom to
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/cd , most apps do handle this, not sure
about your config.

--
Finn-Arne Johansen
faj@bzz.no http://bzz.no/