Re: IP question

On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 15:07 +0900, nigel barker wrote:
> Sorry to bother you busy people (and thanks for the good work!), but is
> there a user list for skolelinux in english?
>
> If not, here's my question
>
> I have an established network on 192.168.0.0, which contains about 20
> static IPs (servers, printers and wireless AP)
>
> I want to switch to skolelinux, becuase it looks like a much more complete
> solution than my current home made mandrake-ltsp, where clients and
> servers are all active on the 192.168.0.0 network (terminal servers serve
> clients according to MAC address).
>
> I would be happy to convert the whole network over, but the AP are
> configured in Japanese, and one of them is bridging two buildings, so I
> would rather leave them alone.
>
> Finally my question:
> Can I stick all my fixed IP devices (actually just AP and printers) behind
> a  router (eg. IPcop), and have Skolelinux take over the rest of the
> network? Would users still be able to get the printers on 192.168.0.xx?
> And would wireless users be able to get to tjener from that side? I'm not
> clear how a terminal client on a private 192.168.0.xx from a ltsp server
> would access a printer on the 'main' 192.168.0.xx. I hope I'm making
> myself clear!
>
> Is this the best solution?
>
> sorry for taking up your time.

Personaly i think the best solution is to migrate fully to a skolelinux
setup.  http://developer.skolelinux.no/arkitektur/network-arch_en.png
It will save you grief in the long run and make upgrades easier.

As long as you'r AccessPoints are Bridging devices the ip address on
them are only used for configuration of the device in any case. so you
can safely switch the whole network to skolelinux's default ip subnet
10.0.2.0/23 just make sure you label the AP's with their ip address so
you can get access to them later for configuration.

The printers should all be set to recive dhcp address and configured
with the printers mac addresses in the skolelinux main dhcp server. they
will then get the same address allways, from the range 10.0.2.30 -
10.0.2.49. Windows hosts can print using a generic postscript driver
towards the skolelinux main server, or using the printers own driver
towards the printers ip address.
using the postscript driver have cut down on our windows maintainance a
lot since you only have to worry about that single driver. :)

IF you chose to retain you'r printers on 192.168.0.0/24. you'r ltsp
servers will be confused since they already have 192.168.0.0/24 network
on the thin-client subnet. if you want to go this path you can either

Connect the printers static subnet to a 3rd leg on your firewall
10.0.2.1.  the default route should then be sufficient to obtain ip
connectivity. Provided you did set a default route in your printers ip
configuration. Many do  not do this.
migrate each ltsp-server to use a different subnet from 192.168.0.0/24
on the thin-client network.

Or do 1 to 1 NAT from skolelinux printer range 10.0.2.30 - 10.0.2.49 to
your printer subnet to whatever ip's the printers have there. this can
also be done on a leg on the firewall. or a separate router. And do not
require a working default route on the printersubnet.

My recomendations is migrate fully to skolelinux network achitecture.
set your printers to dhcp, and be a happy camper.

Good luck, and be sure to tell us what you did and how it worked out.

with regards
Ronny Aasen