Re: .org proposal 2nd

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 20:44:55 +0100
Andreas Schuldei <andreas@debian.org> wrote:

> * Patrick Winnertz <patrick.winnertz@skolelinux.org> [2006-02-16
> 19:07:49]:
>
> > Jonas Smedegaard schrieb:

> > > Instead of starting from scratch, perhaps it makes more sense to
> > > read the email archive and respond to some of those earlier posts
> > > instead?
> > :)
> > Yes, of course.
> > But my hd get break down in january, so i lost my complete emaildata
> > (and so i'm not able to respond to the old thread :S)
> > if someone other wants to resond to this thread this will be good,
> > but I can't, sorry.

I believe that you can, actually: I believe you can request the
mailinglist system to resend messages if you want.

Personally I dislike messing with list bot control commands. I prefer
(when not in reach of a local email copy of a thread) to read the list
archive through web[1].

> i think alternatively to unearthing old threads it would be cool
> to make summaries of the earlier discussions and post them here.

I don't understand the expression "unearthing".

Whatever - let me try to summarize:

Sub-topics actually (not?) discussed
- ------------------------------------

There's needs for developers (like automation), needs for local admins
(like dialogue in local language), and for decision makers and others
"just looking" (like nice look and simple messages).

There's local needs (like native languages, political activism, school
structures), and global needs (like syncronization, unification and
reusability).

There's several brands: Debian, Debian-edu, Skolelinux. Either of them
as .org or (except for the Debian brand) with national suffixes.

General proposals
- -----------------

David C. Weichert suggest setting up global Skolelinux services in
separate skolelinux.org subdomains[2].

Kurt suggest using existing german tools[3].

Morten Werner Olsen suggest setting up services separated by folders on
one big skolelinux.org server[4].

I suggest using existing Debian tools for anything development, and
setup language-specific Skolelinux services for each local community[5].

Putting my proposal last on this list is not due to manipulation, but
simply that it seems to me as being the last proposal before that latest
thread got absorbed by technical details.

(but feel free to see this final remark as manipulation if you
like ;-) )

 - Jonas

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-edu/

[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-edu/2005/12/msg00174.html