Re: Was: Re: Privacy, fare well. Hope we will see you again (Was: Debian Edu Extremadura work meeting june 2006)

On Wednesday 04 January 2006 13:38, David C. Weichert wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 04.01.2006, 10:50 +0100 schrieb Petter Reinholdtsen:
> > (And for those of you believing that we should let go of our freedom
> > to gain security, I trust that you know that there is nothing new
> > about this discussion, and probably also know this quote from
> > President Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826): "Those who desire to give up
> > freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve,
> > either one."  It is still true today.  Power corrupts, and giving the
> > government more power by reducing our freedom will not give us more
> > security only less freedom)
>
> First I thought this must be Ben Franklin (1706-90) and read:
>
> "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security,
> deserve neither liberty or security"

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Benjamin_Franklin:

according to that it originally appeared as a motto on the title page of 'An
Historical Review of the Constitution and Government of
Pennsylvania' (1759) Which was attributed to Benjamin Franklin, though the
phrase is now believed to come from a fellow diplomat by the name of
Richard Jackson (and there's a letter wher Franklin says the quote isn't
his)

> Anyway it seems to prove that the idea of freedom was current round
> about 1776. Interestingly the idea of freedom and parliamentary
> democracy always refers to the (g)olden days of the 18th century and the
> American and French revolution.

here are some more more recent uotes:

"No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he be vigilant in its
preservation." -- General Douglas MacArthur

"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the
timid." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower, First Inaugural Address, Jan. 20, 1953

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never, -- in nothing
great or small, large or petty -- never give in except to convictions of
honour and good sense.  Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently
overwhelming might of the enemy." -- Winston Churchill

"Abuse of power isn't limited to bad guys in other nations. It happens in
our own country if we're not vigilant." -- Clint Eastwood in an essay he
wrote for the January 12, 1997 issue of Parade Magazine
--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)