Re: [Pkg-openldap-devel] Re: the .org proposal or "join forces"

Hi,

Torsten Landschoff wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 03:17:51AM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
>
>>>I would really like to see this package team maintained. It is a pretty
>>>complex package, with upgrade path from woody, and there still exist
>>>bugs in the upgrade path (I haven't completely tested it yet)
>>
>>Well, I thought it *was* team maintained, which made Torsten's comment that
>>you wanted to "take it over" rather surprising to me given that I haven't
>>seen you post to the alioth list about it...
>

> The Uploaders entry in openldap currently states that on that team are
> Stephen Frost, Roland Bauerschmidt, you and myself. As far as I know
> Roland and Stephen both have no time to commit to OpenLDAP and IIRC you
> only wanted to help out for the release.

That doesn't mean that I shouldn't take action. ;)

Most of the mail I send was off list and not to bug #340349. Well,
that's my mistake.

> My memory might not be correct. Anyway, it was a mistake to post to
> debian-devel and not to pkg-openldap-devel. I did not think about it,
> sorry.
>
> Greetings
>
> 	Torsten

Until now I see two people that are willing to maintain OpenLDAP, Russ
Allbery and me. And Torsten is eventually willing to upload it to the
Debian archive.

Ok, what I wanted done for this package is:
- - Move to a patch system like dpatch or quilt
- - Move to dh_install instead of copying around files.
- - Understand how the maintainer scripts work in detail.
- - GnuTLS patch for the 2.3.* version. (And make the patch generic so
that newer versions of OpenLDAP doesn't require a large modification to
the patch)

There is probably more that needs to be done, but I can't remember
myself more, so please add to the TODO list. :)

I moved already to the dpatch system (I am pretty familiar with it, but
if quilt is preferred please say so), I have made a start with the move
to dh_install.

I will commit my changes later today.

Regards,

Matthijs Mohlmann