Re: the .org proposal or "join forces"

Am Dienstag, den 20.12.2005, 18:48 +0100 schrieb Petter Reinholdtsen:
> [Ralf Gesellensetter]
> > This is true - therefore  Patrick's alternative was not just another
> > language (Norsk, German whatever), but NO DEFAULT LANGUAGE.
> >
> > This needs a system that is intelligent enough to recognize for every
> > page, which one is the master page. Or even: a system that spreads the
> > newest version AFAP to all other languages.
>
> Sounds like a good idea.  Kind of like peace on earth, very good idea,
> but kind of hard to implement.  Did any of you have an idea on how to
> get that idea working?
>
> > This might be idealistic - and in the end we fall back to CVS/SVN...
> > If you look at our Wiki, it is also mainly a CVS with a front end.

Wiki has version control but no interface for CVS/SVN tools. I actually
don't like that. (If you are reading this, Alexander S.: I want this
feature -- hint!!!).

> It might even be impossible.  :)
>
> I've tried to keep a few translated documents up-to-date, and
> concluded that it is way to painful to keep them in sync unless one of
> the documents is the master document, and the other is translated from
> this master document.  I welcome tested and working approaches doing
> it another way, as long as it is not too much work for the people we
> have available to handle these things.

I manage to make it happen with stuff I write myself. I have not found a
way to do it colaboratively -- most CMS I've seen suck when it comes to
multilingual content. I'm afraid the beta of lingua-plone is really not
worse than most of the other stuff I've seen -- and it is not very good.
Dooh!