Suggestion: automagic LTSP connection quality check

Dear list,

this is one of these ideas coming into my mind just like a sudden
breeze ;)

How about this: Implement routines for quality assurance.

One could be a bandwidth logger for a thin client net.

Aim: Check if the router or any other net component causes loss of
bandwith.

Approach: have some diagnostic user that involves starting some script
if that user logs in on thin clients.

Mode of operation: The tool consists has two tasks: create traffic and
analyse bandwith. Hereby my idea is that there should be one phase
where all clients "fire" simultaneous - and one where only one client
is transmitting - in order to detect deviations really fast. (Up- and
downstreem).

Of course, this has to be synced. I regard the timer of the ltsp server
to be the best syncing control. Given an amount of N thin clients, the
tool could divide a minute into N+1 time slices - one for common
action, one for every client each. Alternatively one could say: fire if
(TIMER/200) % 256 equals the least significant byte of own IP - or 255.

(replace 200 by tics_per_sec)

Commonts or ideas for implementing this - or further  self-controls for
quality, are highly requested ;)

Cheers for reading
regards
Ralf.