Re: Developer gathering in germany?

Wednesday 21. September 2005 13:40, wrote Steffen Joeris:
> Hi All
>
> First of all sorry about the privat discussion which has taken place
> about a possible gathering in germany, it was also my mistake.
>
> We suggested to have a developer gathering in germany at my old school.
> At first we wanted to know if this is possible because of the schedule
> for the gatherings, but now we want to go the right way and make an
> official ask here at the public list.
>
> So our idea was to have a gathering at the beginning of december near
> cologne germany at a school.
> What we can offer is a place to work (of course internet access), a
> place for sleeping (a big room or so) and we can organize the meals.

This sound like a great idea. We have a plan about a developer gathering in
that period, as Finn-Arne announced a couple of days ago.

Proposed dates for that gathering is
- 2nd-4th of December
or (25th-27th of November, 9th-11th of December)

Usually we mark off (in the cvs text file for the gathering) the date that we
are able to come. A couple of weeks before the first proposed date, we pick
the one that most people can attend to. This time, it will be higher cost in
plain tickets, so the exact date must be settled quite fast...

> Short overview about a possible program:
>
> Friday evening a keynode and a meal maybe with students and teachers to
> discuss free software in schools ...
>
> Saturday morning we can start to hack and during the early afternoon we
> want to make several talks about several topics (for example on which
> stuff you are working or some presentations about skolelinux ...)
> were we invide all people, who are interested (I think we can insert it
> into the newspaper).
> There can be also some discussions with students or parents ...
>
> What we also want to do is a social evening in an irish pub (saturday
> evening, I hope with live music).
>
> On sunday there can be an interview with some newspapers, hacking and a
> meeting at the end were we can discuss several things.

As a general note, developer gatherings with a lot of meetings are not that
productive..... :)

Of course we must have a couple of meeting, but maybe everyone do not need to
attend all meetings. We do not have a hole week available, like the debconf.

> The school is interested in doing this gathering, because they want to
> make public relations with that ;=)
> and I think many teachers will come, because we can get financial
> support not from our school, but from the local government and then also
> teachers from other schools will come.
>
> Well I don't know how to pay the flight costs?!

This is a problem.  We have low budgets for the gatherings, and it is
expensive to send people by plane. Any suggestins to solve the financial
part, would be greatly appreciated. We probably can use some of the financial
result from the gathering in Nafplion, to see what we need as a total
budget....

> And as you can see the event is not completely organized, but if the
> debian-edu community want to have such a meeting and many of you will
> attend we will prepare a nice gathering with the german team.
>
> But first of all we want to hear if you agree or disagree with our plan,
> but if you agree we can meet each other in germany ;=)
>
> Please give much feedback and let's discuss this here at the list *g*.

Great initiative, and it would be great to meet up with the German team...

--
-Frode

Type louder, please.

Petition for "World of Warcraft" on Linux: http://www.blizzpub.net/petition/