Re: depends or recomends on the eduction-packages

On 24-06-2005 12:53, Geert Stappers wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 02:41:10PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>
>>On 23-06-2005 13:28, Finn-Arne Johansen wrote:
>>
>>>Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>
>      <snip/>

>>>Will it force replacement if there is a conflict with already installed
>>>packages ?
>

> That is a request for help.

I agree (two requests, actually).

>>Don't think so. I get it now. :-)
>

> That looks like a offer to help.

Sorry for my bad expression. Let me clarify:

I assume that you (Finn-Arne) implicitly suggest that for the problem to
only be with apt-get (not aptitude), aptitude will force replace already
installed packages even for recommends: To my best knowledge I do not
think that is the case. I now understand the reason for your initial
suggestion to switch back to depends, and thus withdraw my questioning it.

> I'm also curious about atitude providing forced replacement.
> Jonas doesn't deserve to replying his own Emails.  I think I can help,
> by asking for an update on the force replacement tests

If you (Geert) or others have (still) same worry as I had earlier on,
then go for it, but as I have changed my mind and now feel confident
that Finn-Arne is right you should not expect me to provide further
analysis (I am still a bit confused if this is the case or you request
that of others)

To summarize: I believe (from theoretical understanding and a brief
test) that Finn-Arne is right that recommended packages do not get
pulled in by aptitude if conflicting with already-installed packages.

 - Jonas

- --