Re: Pictures from the Skolelinux gathering in Bergen

On 2005-06-18 04:12:22 Patrick Willam wrote:
> Øyvind A. Holm wrote:
> >   http://musthave.sunbase.org/Skolelinux/
> >
> > Probably unnecessary to say, but the images are GFDLed.
>
> Your usage of this licence, especially for _pictures_, allows only two
> conclusions for me:
>   a) you don't have understood the GNU FDL,
> or
>   b) you don't care about the GNU FDL.

Well, IANAL, but I would say I have the understanding of both the GPL
and the GFDL and think that the GPL is one of the greatest modern
inventions. I'm not a big fan of spreading lots of legalspeak around,
though (one of the reasons I never liked those BSD licenses), but I
suppose it's necessary to specify if there are any invariant sections,
front-cover texts, or back-cover texts. I asked RMS about this actual
topic when he visited Bergen (Norway) at 2004-09-19.¹ I said we had the
GPL for software and GFDL for books and asked if there would be any GNU
Media License for sound, film, pictures etc. He suggested to use the
Creative Commons license for those kind of things, which sounds
reasonable. I'm not sure if it's the right thing to smack a GPL license
on pictures, I haven't dived _that_ deep into the legal stuff.

> I'd rather like to see people using licences that they have understood
> thourougly and thougt about their implications and use them in the way
> they are [sometimes even explicitly] meant to be used, than people
> declaring them [some unspecified way of] free at all.
>
> Sorry for being picky about this; i really think we're here on
> _debian_-edu and not on _xyz_-edu. But there might be some wrong
> expectations on my side.

It's a good thing people are picky about it — most of us could need to
be reminded about the importance of this.

¹: http://musthave.sunbase.org/Stallman/stallman_bergen_20040919-2.mpeg

Regards,
Øyvind A. Holm
#!/bin/bash
for f in 1 2 3; do
  PREF=http://musthave.sunbase.org/Stallman/stallman${f}c
  wget $PREF.sub ; mplayer -cache 8192 -sub stallman${f}c.sub $PREF.mpeg
done