Re: less hard coded config files

[Geert Stappers]
> Another strange thing ( in the vision of an administrator who has
> seen many other Unix / Linux systems ) are the symbolic links to
> debian-edu files. Such as /etc/ldap/slapd.conf pointing to
> /etc/ldap/slapd-debian-edu.conf

It was the best idea we came up with to enable config upgrades without
multilevel configuration suppoort.

> What I would like to see is a construction that uses .in files, same
> idea as autoconf does. Have a look at this unified diff:

Something like this would be nice, to make it more flexible.  It is
out of the question to ask about these settings during the default
install, but it could be an option with an expert installation or
provide a script to update these files with local overrides.

But I suspect the time is better spend implementing multilevel
configuration support.  Or perhaps this should be done in addition to
adding multilevel config support?