Re: Worklist for the weekend

Maximilian Wilhelm wrote:
> Am Freitag, den 10. Juni hub Finn-Arne Johansen folgendes in die Tasten:
>
> Hi!
>
>>- Fix MTA setup (#276769)
>>  We have 4 choices (or more)
>>  * We might continue to use Exim3 - no longer maintained upstream,
>>    depreceated in debian
>>  * SOmeone fixes exim4 to work with ldap
>>  * Do we really need exim4 to work with LDAP ? I have set up postfix on
>>    one installation without the use of ldap, even if all the users
>>    exists in ldap
>>  * Switch to something else (like postfix)
>
> I could look at this.
> I'm using exim4 with LDAP in production environment for months now.
>
> I would vote for keeping exim as it's easy to configure and one who's
> able to read "technical english" should not have problem to understand
> and modify the config file.

I dont find it easy to understand. But maybe I've been looking at the
wrong HowTo's :)
I find Postfix much easier to configure.

> Nearby it's debian standard :)

That is a reason to keep it.

>>- Add backup of slapd to the slbackup routine
>

> cron -> 'slapcat > $datestring.ldif' ?

Something like that, yes, maybe not to a datestring, but to a file that
will go into the normal backup routine
And remember to stop slapd before slapcat is run
and make it easy to include other tasks, such as backup of
postgres/mysql and possibly other tasks.

> That's the way I do it at work :)

Me to, but I've never found the time do include it into Skolelinux

>>- kdm is not localized propperly. Check for possibly others
>
> Why not localize it?

I'm not even sure that this is the case anymore ... And I realize that
the line could be misunderstood. the meaning is "A least kdm is not
localized properly, There may be other packages thar ern't localized
properly as well"

>>- The debian-part of the menu in kde is not localized properly
>>- fix dhcpd and lts.conf (XFS and etherboot kernels)
>>
>>If I should choose, I would have dropped at least these:
>>- koffice (and keep OpenOffice)
>>- Emacs, and maybe some more, and only keep a vi clone and maybe nano
>
> I'm not a friend of emacs, but I think, we should keep vim and emacs to
> make most people happy.

The reason for suggesting to drop Emacs, is that I think very few
schools are using it. if someone are using it, I think they can manage
to  download it. We have to leave some of the packages out, if we want
to include the other 320 MB that is needed to upgraded an existing
installation.

--
Finn-Arne Johansen
faj@bzz.no http://bzz.no/