Re: r3715 - in trunk/src/debian-edu-config: debian testsuite

On 08-06-2005 11:13, Finn-Arne Johansen wrote:
> Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

>>If this was indirectly aimed at me then please clarify: I don't
>>recognize the treatment you describe.
>

> It was not aimed at you, as all are well aware of all our flamewars goes
> in public. But the name of the package (or it's maintainer) is of no
> matter, unless this is intolerant behavier from a DD, and the developer
> should be punished (I doubt it).

Ok :-)

>>Another example: Newest version of Lessdisks officially in Debian is
>>0.5.3cvs.20040906-16. An unofficial release of newer upstream version
>>0.6.2c should then be 0.6.2c-0.0.0.sl1.
>

> The trouble here is that the lessdisks packages is the upstream version,
> it's not a custom Skolelinux version.

Well, the inclusion into Skolelinux is "custom Skolelinux" compared to
"upstream Debian".

When packaging for Debian we also from time to time choose to use other
version numbers than upstream authors, because it better fit cooperation
between packages in the whole distribution.

It is not a big deal to change the version number and rebuild the package.

> But maybe it would be better not
> to have the lessdisks packages on the CD, to prevent people from
> installing lessdisks which is not supported by debian nor Skolelinux

That is certainly my opinion: IMHO it only makes sense to include on the
Skolelinux CD what Skolelinux supports.

 - Jonas

- --