Re: r3715 - in trunk/src/debian-edu-config: debian testsuite

On 08-06-2005 08:35, Finn-Arne Johansen wrote:

> I guess this hasn't been discussed, but after having experienced almost
> beeing blocked from the Debian BTS (at least threthened to be) for
> bugging a Debian package built and maintained by a Debian maintainer,
> not released to debian, but only to debian-edu, and with no sign of
> beeing a development version; i think we need something that identifies
> that this is clearly a development/cvs/svn-version.

If this was indirectly aimed at me then please clarify: I don't
recognize the treatment you describe.

If this has nothing to do with me or lessdisks then sorry for my noise
(it just seems from your recent postings, Finn-Arne, that lessdisks is
the only unofficial package besides SUN Java).

Whatever the target of criticism, I agree that unofficial Skolelinux
releases are easier to handle if given an outstanding version number.

My suggestion is to use 4th segment of the Debian version number, and
stay right above latest official version if only Debian-related changes,
and right below upstream release number if packaging a newer upstream
version.

Example: Newest version of debian-edu-config officially in Debian is
0.398 (no upstream version, only Debian version). An unofficial release
should then be 0.398.0.sl1.

Another example: Newest version of Lessdisks officially in Debian is
0.5.3cvs.20040906-16. An unofficial release of newer upstream version
0.6.2c should then be 0.6.2c-0.0.0.sl1.

If using a version number likely to be used also for official Debian
releases, there is a risk of two different packages with same version:
security fixes in Debian may go unnoticed in Skolelinux!

The reason for using 4th segment is that 1st is reserved for the package
maintainer, 2nd is reserved for NMUs and the third is reserved for
binary-only official rebuilds.

 - Jonas

- --