Re: Kernel version to use in the sarge based debian-edu

tirsdag 7. juni 2005, 21:13, skrev Jonas Smedegaard:
> On 07-06-2005 18:55, Gjermund Skogstad wrote:
> > Regarding number 4 this is not an issue with 2.6.8 and to be honest I do
> > see this debate surrounding the aggregation of firmware as a big
> > political steer-up about basicly nothing. (Firmware is typically so close
> > to hardware that it should be viewed as part of the hardware rather than
> > software in its own rights.)
> >
> > Adding to this it seems like this firmware tainted driver is likely to
> > end up in an alternative kernel, morally correct and securely placed by
> > debian in the non-free dept.
> > (In other words: Big deal.)
>
> Sure, this is a no-brainer: Just base Skolelinux on something else than
> Debian and whatever stupid(?) policies Debian choose to follow is
> irrelevant for Skolelinux.
>
> (to those that wonder: non-free is not actually part of Debian - it is
> never part of an official release).
>
> Until Skolelinux changes its current goal of becoming a CDD, it _is_ a
> big deal.
>

> Kind(!) regards,
>
>  - Jonas

You're allways very kind, Jonas :)

On the serious side I want to point out that I've used debian on a daily basis
since Jan 2002 and are these days retiring my old RedHat server in favour of
a new debian sarge system. The fact that I've used RH systems on this
particular server since -98 and now turns to debian,  goes long way to show
how I've come to trust debians system for maintenance both with regard to
security and the servers need for evolution over time. .. And I have never
said that the debian organisation or debians policies are stupid. In fact I
have advocated (most of) them for some years now :)

My point is simply that debian-edu/Skolelinux is about our kids and their
learning-environment, and should _not_ be about politics. (The fact that if
debian-edu/Skolelinux makes great success would create policies, don't
necessarily imply that debian-edu/Skolelinux needs to _be_about_ politics!)

:)

Cheers!
Gjermund Skogstad
(http://www.linuxfolk.net)