Re: Kernel version to use in the sarge based debian-edu

Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> For the sarge based version of debian-edu, we need to choose if we
> want to use a 2.4 or the 2.6 kernel as the default.  Both have pros
> and cons.  Should we try to document the problems and advantages of
> both, and make a choice?  Who know more about the issues at stake?

Showstoppers for using 2.6-kernel
1) So far the 2.6-kernel needs lvm2, and the current autopartkit does
not work with lvm2.
2) were we need 2.6 kernel (sata-controllers mostly), the cdrom is often
not accessible during installation.
3) Some scsi raid controllers are not availible on the 2.6.8-kernel used
by the installer, they are not even availible on the Debian sid
2.6.11-kernel.
4) not sure, but I think a very common (crappy?) ethernet driver is
missing on the 2.6-8 kernel, At least it's missing from 2.6.11 from sid.
the driver is tg3 (yeah, I know it's crap, but I have it on my laptop)

Showstopper for 2.4-kernel
5) some controllers does not work

I've sent a patch for 1), and I've bugged 2). I found someinfo about 3)
from ubuntu, I've experienced 4), but not bugged it.

I have once experienced 5), but then that was not a Skolelinux
installation.

I'd say lets keep 2.4, and make 2.6 and option, but then someone should
 build a new autopartkit with my patch.

Sorry - I dont remember the bug numbers, please look them up in BTS.

--
Finn-Arne Johansen
faj@bzz.no http://bzz.no/