Re: Debian-edu/Skolelinux and Edubuntu cooperation

On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 01:21:26PM +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> For sarge, the one huge thing which has held the release back for a
> long time is the installer.  Debian-installer has been under
> development for quite some time and has become a really, really nice
> framework for installation systems.  I think some of its flexibility
> shows in the fact that it's used for not only installing Debian (and
> Ubuntu), but it's also used for the Ubuntu live cd by just adding a
> couple of packages to the system.  That's something which
> boot-floppies could never have done.  There has been a bit of
> infrastructure and hardware-based delays for sarge too, but those are
> mostly solved now.  Testing per se hasn't been a holdup for etch.  The
> release team has done major transitions in testing and learnt how to
> do them well.  Examples are the libtiff3g => libtiff4 transition
> which, if my memory serves me correctly, took about three weeks.
> GNOME 2.6 to GNOME 2.8 was smooth.

I agree with your list of issues. On top of those I would like to
add: infrastructure (t-p-a, t-s), rewording of the DFSG and the
irritation and disruption it brought. I would blame those for
half a year to one year of the relase delay. At some point the
"spectator mentality" set in which slowed down everything, again.
It is still there. Most dont believe that we will relase sarge in
under ten days.

> What will be the big holdups for etch?

I think we will have our share of interesting political things
disrupting work (and i dont know what those could be yet).

One issue is that eventhough items that need work are known
allready, things are not approached proactively. (infrastructure,
again.)