Re: Debian-edu/Skolelinux and Edubuntu cooperation

On Fri, 13 May 2005, Markus Gamenius wrote:

> >Would it be at all possible for a semi-official debian-edu/skolelinux
> >backports archive to exist for this?

> This approach would not help us keeping up with hardware, just some
> programs.

I presume that the major issue with hardware is the installer.  An extra
APT source won't really help that.  Hardware problems with initial
installation would likely be with new disk controllers, network cards and
possibly video cards.  For a novice, if the cd doesn't have support they
might as well forget it.  They really need a cd that has this stuff.

A second aspect of hardware is that of thin/half-thick clients.  An APT
source with a newer version of LTSP or Lessdisks, or a new kernel for them
etc might be a help.  The nature of thin clients is often that they aren't
usually that new so I suspect this is not so important (although the X
Server in LTSP 3 is very old now).

My intention in saying this was not so much to propose a solution to the
hardware problem as to show that there are one or two things other than
hardware which cause issues when out of date and to suggest a possible
solution to those.

> How should we solve the hardware-problem?

Good question.

Gavin