Re: Debian-edu/Skolelinux and Edubuntu cooperation

On Sunday 08 May 2005 23:33, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Sun, 8 May 2005, Arnt Ove Gregersen wrote:
> > The unpredictable and not-so-frequent releases of Debian worries me.
>
> Is it worriing *you* or your *users*.

It is my worries, but not mine alone. I have been told the same from people
using, adminstrating,  providing or evaluating Skolelinux.

I am not a system administator, but I have been working in a voluntary
"resource group" helping local schools getting started with Skolelinux.

> Wanting the latest and greatest
> software is a very developer centric point of view.  Keeping your users
> busy by providing frequently changing applications might not be the
> most important thing you should focus on.  It is more the other way
> around I'm observing in a similar target user group:  GIVE ME BACK MY
> GOOD OLD VERSION I KNOW AND I WAS ABLE TO WORK WITH INSTEAD OF KEEPING
> ME BUSY WITH LEARNING THIS NEW VERSION!  (Sorry, my users were shouting
> and thus I uses capital letters.)

I understand, but as mentioned later in this thread a lot of the good
educational software is not available in the current Debian version without
backports. (Correct me if I am wrong)

[snip]

--
Best regards
Arnt Ove Gregersen

"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you
win.",M Gandhi