Re: Debian-edu/Skolelinux and Edubuntu cooperation

On Sunday 08 May 2005 23:33, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Sun, 8 May 2005, Arnt Ove Gregersen wrote:
> > The unpredictable and not-so-frequent releases of Debian worries me.
>
> Is it worriing *you* or your *users*.  Wanting the latest and greatest
> software is a very developer centric point of view.

I think the unpredictability is the main concern, and consequently the main
issue Debian needs to address.
(I personally have no problem with 2 or even 3 yearly releases, but missing
the announced release date several times, and missing the original release
with 1,5 years is a serious problem)

> Keeping your users busy by providing frequently changing applications
> might not be the most important thing you should focus on.  It is more the
> other way around I'm observing in a similar target user group:  GIVE ME
> BACK MY GOOD OLD VERSION I KNOW AND I WAS ABLE TO WORK WITH INSTEAD OF
> KEEPING ME BUSY WITH LEARNING THIS NEW VERSION!  (Sorry, my users were
> shouting and thus I uses capital letters.)

In general I agree that you don't usually need the latest and greatest but
for edu-apps it's only been the last coupple of years that usefull free
software apps really started to appear. (the difference between kde-edu
from 2.2. and 3.3. for example is enormous).

In addition kde 3.X brought the kiosk system which allows a level of
administrator control that's  a quantum leep above what was available
before.

--
cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis):
    Coördinator Belgisch Skolelinux team