Re: Debian-edu/Skolelinux and Edubuntu cooperation

Herman Robak wrote:
On Mon, 2005-05-09 at 08:21, Markus Gamenius wrote:

Konstantinos Margaritis wrote:

However,

Debian is right now one of the longest standing distros _and_ going stronger by the day.

Many people feels that Debian is geting weeker, not stronger.
Partly because of developers runing to Ubuntu.

 The long release cycles of Debian causes some real-world
problems.  There was a proposal for "partial" releases that
could occur more often at Debconf3 two years ago.  Has it
been raised again?  Debconf5 this summer would be a good
time.

Yupp

Are you coming, Markus?

I don't have the time, but I hope others for our project will go

 Most of the software packages don't have to track new
hardware.  Even if it's old, it will still work.  However,
the installer, the kernel and X will often simply not work
on newer hardware.
 Hung or looping installations, kernel panics, essential
hardware not working (e.g. no network) and the friendly
graphical login of X never showing up.  Those are show-
stoppers.  Unless you are already a savvy Debian user,
you will be lost, or burn obscenely many hours working
around the problem.

 Could we agree on a small infrastructure, like the
installer, the kernel and X?  And maybe a few more
libraries and daemons that communicate directly with
the hardware?  "Base + drivers"?

This could be a nice aproach.

Markus