Re: The next level of Custom Debian Distributions

On April 30th Knut Yrvin wrote about config file updates etc.:

> 2. Config-files in Debian packages is not ready for enterprise
> 2.1 To get enterprise selection of config-files into the package
> 2.2 config-file with changed format and the old name
> 2.3 put new config-files on the new installation when the old ones are
>   deleted

It might have been mentined before, and I understand dropping in complete
config files might be a reasonable temporary workaround.

Looking for potential solutions, a concept simmilar to CFG's outlined on [1]
might yield good benefits for debian and CDDs in particular.

Wether CFG, XML, d-bus, perl, python etc. is not the issue. The ideas to
modularize the configuration management extending on debconf are worthwhile
consideration I think.

Christian

[1]
http://freedesktop.org/Software/CFG