Re: The next level of Custom Debian Distributions

On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 10:28:35PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> > I believe it is _not_ recommended for schools.
> >
> > And I am not sure what is meant by "security patches is available -
> > Debian does _not_ yet officially provide security maintainance of
> > sarge!
>

> For those not subscribed to debian-devel-announce@, as of now sarge _is_
> officially security-maintained:
>
> On 03-05-2005 21:46, Steve Langasek wrote:
>
> > Joey Schulze of the security team has given the thumbs-up for
> > official security support for sarge as of the time of the freeze.
> > Which is now.
>

> Of interest is also Steve's very next paragraph, pretty much saying
> similar things as I did about not yet using this for schools yet:
>
> > With security support in place, adventurous users can begin testing
> > the upgrade path from woody to sarge.  Their feedback will be used
> > for further bugfixing of packages, and to start preparing release
> > notes. Currently, this is tempered by known bug #278495, which
> > affects perl when upgrading on a sizable percentage of systems.  We
> > hope this bug will be addressed soon, so that we can start getting
> > good upgrade reports in ASAP.
>

> I recommend that Skolelinux only officially recommend using officially
> released Skolelinux, and that any interim testing releases (or worse:
> direct use of the ever-changing testing and unstable package
> repositories) is used at own risk - including the risk of unpleasant
> surprises (like configuration tweaks overwritten or packages removed)
> when upgrading to the next official release of Skolelinux.

jonas, please update yourself on the security of woody vs
testing. testing is by far more secure then woody even without
the 24h security fixes (but only slighly slower ones). see joeys
webpages for the numbers. (and i dont know the url now.)

the upgrade path that you mention is still an issue. but it is an
issue both for the sarge and for the woody installs. This is a
dilemma of the cdds and becomes only marginally better with woody
vs testing. In general your installation is royally broken after
an upgrade regardless which one you used.