Re: The next level of Custom Debian Distributions

On 02-05-2005 15:34, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> On 02-05-2005 14:09, Gavin McCullagh wrote:
>
>>> Hi,

>>> For a school starting (moreorless) from scratch with Skolelinux,
>>> is this the recommended approach now?
>

> I believe it is _not_ recommended for schools.
>
> And I am not sure what is meant by "security patches is available -
> Debian does _not_ yet officially provide security maintainance of
> sarge!

For those not subscribed to debian-devel-announce@, as of now sarge _is_
officially security-maintained:

On 03-05-2005 21:46, Steve Langasek wrote:

> Joey Schulze of the security team has given the thumbs-up for
> official security support for sarge as of the time of the freeze.
> Which is now.

Of interest is also Steve's very next paragraph, pretty much saying
similar things as I did about not yet using this for schools yet:

> With security support in place, adventurous users can begin testing
> the upgrade path from woody to sarge.  Their feedback will be used
> for further bugfixing of packages, and to start preparing release
> notes. Currently, this is tempered by known bug #278495, which
> affects perl when upgrading on a sizable percentage of systems.  We
> hope this bug will be addressed soon, so that we can start getting
> good upgrade reports in ASAP.

I recommend that Skolelinux only officially recommend using officially
released Skolelinux, and that any interim testing releases (or worse:
direct use of the ever-changing testing and unstable package
repositories) is used at own risk - including the risk of unpleasant
surprises (like configuration tweaks overwritten or packages removed)
when upgrading to the next official release of Skolelinux.

 - Jonas

- --