Re: The next level of Custom Debian Distributions

Hi,

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005, Knut Yrvin wrote:

> * Sarge installation of Skolelinux from scratch
>
> Today it's possible to use, and maintain a Sarge based Skolelinux
> installed from scratch with some adjusting. Security patches is
> available. Follow his guide:
>
> http://developer.skolelinux.no/dokumentasjon/debian-edu_sarge_installation.txt
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2004/10/msg01231.html
> http://newraff.debian.org/~joeyh/testing-security.html

For a school starting (moreorless) from scratch with Skolelinux, is this
the recommended approach now?  We've been moving quite slowly for a variety
of reasons.  I have had a woody based system set up and working since last
autumn with some test accounts but we are only going to be distributing
accounts and thin clients in the next couple of months.  Would we be better
off using Sarge or Woody?

It would be great to use sarge but I worry a little about what package
upgrades might happen between now and the sarge release.  Is the LDAP db
structure frozen now?

Gavin