Re: Adding delegation of authority to the current LDAP structure?

On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 at 09:34:09PM +0100, Andreas Schuldei wrote:
> > > Research is ongoing. There are ACIs which could perhaps solve the
> > > problem. http://www.openldap.org/faq/data/cache/634.html
> > >
> > > ACIs are still experimental and not enabled in the debian
> > > packages, because their interface is about to change. we could
> > > compile our own openldap packages, see if we wont run into libary
> > > compatibility problems and if not deal with the changing
> > > interface at a later point in time.
> >
> > Does "experimental" only mean "their interface is about to change" or also
> > "it is not tested much and may turn out to work unreliably"?
>
> ACIs are in wide use and seem to be stable, even in production.

now i got mail from Howard Chu <hyc@symas.com>, saying:

=========

There are no user-visible changes to ACI support planned. The
change I was referring to is to allow dynamic (runtime) changes
to regular ACLs.  (At that point, I imagine the need for ACIs
will vanish, but that's a different matter.)

=========

this would mean it would be less hazardous to use it.