Re: Locales and OpenOffice.

> > I have installed the locale ti_ER.UTF-8 on my debian-edu system (sarge),
> > and it works somewhat.
> >
> > In console I get a bit funky characters, date gives:
> >
> > "ዓርቢ፡ መጋቢት4 መዓልቲ  7:14:28 ድሕር ሰዓት
> > CET 2005 ዓ/ም"
> >
> > My fedora core 3 dist shows the right character (Tigrigna), so I'm
> > guessing I'm missing a font or similar. Anyone have ideas?
>
> I know that to get correct fonts in Lithuanian, Latvian, and Russian,
> you need the ttf-freefont package.The following three fonts work well:
>
> Freesans
> Freemono
> Freeserif

I have now managed to get it all up and running on my Fedora Core 3, so I
know it is not a font problem. I use the same fonts on the Debian-Edu
system as on the Fedora Core System.

So, I'll be focusing on the console problem, i.e. (I'm guessing) libc. If
anyone has any pointers to where I should start, please tell. I use
dpkg-reconfigure locales to set up the different locales I use, where
ti_ER is one of them (all UTF-8).

I then change locale with LANG=ti_ER, and run date to get the funky output
you see at the top here.

I'll be digging until I find the problem, but would appreciate pointers at
any stage. Thank you for all the input so far.

-- Vegard Munthe
   FAIR