Locales and OpenOffice.

I'll probably try OpenOffice mailinglists if no-one here can help, but
heres a shot:

I have installed the locale ti_ER.UTF-8 on my debian-edu system (sarge),
and it works somewhat.

In console I get a bit funky characters, date gives:

"ዓርቢ፡ መጋቢት  4 መዓልቲ  7:14:28 ድሕር ሰዓት
CET 2005 ዓ/ም"

My fedora core 3 dist shows the right character (Tigrigna), so I'm
guessing I'm missing a font or similar. Anyone have ideas?

Further I start oowriter, and on my Fedora Core 3 system I get good
behaviour except the font is invisible... I can cut'n'past this invisible
font onto the console to get the right Tigrigna characters. I'm guessing
I'm missing a font here as well... any ideas?

(A hint here is that GDK reports a warning about XLib not supporting the
locale, but I could not get any more help with google on this)

On my Debian-Edu system I get normal alphanumerical characters, i.e. there
is no translation of the charactermap into tigrigna characters. I guess
this is due to the problems in console, but I'm very new to setting up
locales, so I'm learning every day.

If anyone has pointers, I would appreciate it very much. If I can get this
to work, FAIR will be using Debian-Edu on over 1000 PCs in Eritrea. If
not, they will revert to Windows98 and Geez+Word, which is a waste of
resources, in my opinion.

-- Vegard Munthe
   FAIR