Re: choosing software applications

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> I agree that we should emphasize the preferred (according to Skolelinux
> - - but tweakable by each site from somewhere below /etc) set of
> applications, not suppress choices.

I take it by suppress you mean omit from the default install.  I guess this
reduces the user's direct choices but it doesn't reduce a school's ability
to choose to install another from the archive[1].

> For user selection in menus: Add an additional "Skolelinux" menu item
> containing the major 10-20 preferred applications.

Would this not serve to make the menu even more cluttered and confusing to
navigate?  It might be a simpler approach to create an "alternative"
sub-menu and move the not preferred apps to that so as to de-emphasise them
but I'm not sure how practical that would be.

Gavin

[1] Incidentally synaptic has come on in leaps and bounds since woody.