Re: sarge installer

Gavin McCullagh wrote:
Hi,

I tried to install debian-edu_sarge-i386_20050217.iso in qemu the other
night.
I was a little puzzled when it never prompted me to create an ordinary user
account but kdm wouldn't allow root logins.  The solution I used was to
switch to a text terminal login as root and use
	lynx https://tjener.intern:10000

to create an account with webmin so I could login.  Am I missing something?
Surely this is not what's intended?

well, you could have used ldapadd to add the user but that is also rather difficult (as is using lynx)

but yes - it's a bug, and I think it's fixed in later builds. I would have to check debian-edu-config (I think) for when the bug was fixed. It seems to have been fixed "2005-02-18 16:34:59" in svn, so a later image should have that fixed, but I have not been able to verify this. But it is of course possible for other to fix this.

Please also check that it's a known bug in Debian BTS. if not, use reportbug to report it.

Not letting root log in is the default in kdm for debian I think
--
Finn-Arne Johansen, faj@bzz.no
http://bzz.no