Please join the Skolelinux sarge testing team

Since the beginning of February 2005 I have asked the Norwegian users
of Skolelinux to join the testing team. Many of the schools that runs
Skolelinux 1.0 have a complete setup to do configuration management,
change management, and problem management. The test setup are
important independent of the scale of the organisation. A faulty
configuration or an update have a bigger consequences when upgrading
Skolelinux in large centralised operations with 1500-5000 users. Even
at a single school is it important to do trial deployment because of
the small resources the schools have to do firefighting.

There are still some release critical bugs in Skolelinux sarge
(testing). They are known. They bugs are fixable in a reasonable
time-frame.  There are a guide to do workarounds at the places where
some services don't install.  But we need work hours and easy to
understand feedbacks to the developers. To speed up the testing
process, we have asked for help in Norway 2 weeks ago. We have already
done some initial testing of the FAI-based sarge version of Skolelinux
from 2005.02.07. Now we are testing the 2005.02.16 version. The
persons that helps out in Norway is:

- Aksel Celasun <aksel(at)celasun.com>
    testing sarge with KDE for future deployment to 1500 users
- Trond Mæhlum <Trond.Maehlum(at)kongsvinger.kommune.no>
    testing sarge with ICEwm for future deployment to 2700 users
- Conrad Newton <conrad.newton(at)broadpark.no>
    to test and make a Snøfrix profile for Debian-edu
- Knut Yrvin <knuty(at)skolelinux.no>
    to test that everything is user friendly and fully automated

Now we are asking for that more testers internationally. We also needs
people to write short release reports when FAI and Joey releases new
more bug-fixed versions of Skolelinux sarge (testing).  Most of the
communication of the testing will be done at
debian-edu(at)lists debian org:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-edu/

Links to relevant download area and a document with a short guide on
how to use rsync, and the workarounds when installing:

http://ftp.skolelinux.no/dokumentasjon/debian-edu_sarge_installation.txt
ftp://ftp.skolelinux.no/tmp/faj_sarge/

- Knut Yrvin