Re: What about arranging several Skolelinux developer gatherings on different places at the same time ?

* Arnt Ove Gregersen <arntog@broadpark.no> [050215 21:50]:

> Hi!
>
> Please excuse my poor english, I will make a quick (& dirty) translation of a
> mail I just sent to the norwegian Skolelinux lists :
>
> Because we maybe have to cut the number of planned Skolelinux developer
> gatherings this year, due to economic reasons. We in the Skolelinux board has
> been talking losely about alternative ways to arrange some of these
> gatherings(these are just suggestions).
>
> It has been suggested to arrange local developer gathering on many different
> places at the same time. In big cities and places where there are many
> contributors  which can gather under the same "roof".
>
> The local developer gatherings can communicate with each other by using IRC,
> audio link(Skype) and video conferanse systems (Gnomemeeting) etc.
>
> By doing this we save the tavelling expenses, which today makes out a lot of
> money.
>
> Skolelinux should still try to pay for the food for its contributors, as long
> as it can afford it. This is to give something back to our contributors.
>
> The main disadvantage with this is that we maybe miss some of the
> national/international team building and it may be harder to communincate.
>
> But it will probably strengthen the local/regional team building, and maybe
> help recruit new contributers from the local Linux groups and from the local
> schools.
>
> Furthermore it may make it possible for more people to attend for a day or
> two, because they do not need to travel that far and not be away from their
> family for a long time.
>
> If there is anyone that wish to arrange a local Skolelinux developer
> gathering, then please let us know as soon as possible.
>
> It has been suggested to try this new way of arranging developer gathering in
> March if people concur.

The german team has planed every month one weekend.

http://www.skolelinux.de/wiki/Arbeitstreffen

This dates do not conflict with other linux events in germany.

We have DSL, there is place in one room for about 15 person and
we can rent another room for little money.

We checked skype last weekend, it works.

We have NXconnection one school and so on.

So i like to invite everybody to check the dates, and if somebody
likes to come, please write it in our wiki or send me an email.

In march we plan to have some lectures in moodle via skype with
one of the moodle core team in germany on saturday.

> What is your opinions ? We would really like to have your comments and
> suggestions on this.

Perhaps we can use the debconf5 for another gathering too.

> This is as said just a suggestion, but we are eager to try it.

I wish to get in contact with most of the debian developer, so i
again invite every DD to visit our lern and testcenter in
Guetersloh.

Sorry about my english ;-)

Regards/Viele Gruesse!
Kurt