Re: kernel headers package

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005, Ragnar Wisløff wrote:

> I am afraid I don't. I have seen exactly the same result on an IBM 226, which
> is a similar machine just down-market. So it would be interesting to know if
> there are any simple solutions.

As it stands I intend to install kernel-headers and compile the proprietary
driver (time is short right now so I haven't been in front of the machine
in a week or two).  I'd rather not go this way but it seems the simplest
approach right now.

Another tempting option I can see is to buy a different network card (a
dual interface gigabit one) which is supported by a free linux driver and
plug that in on the pci slot.  This clearly has lots of advantages when it
comes to kernel upgrades.  Does anyone know of such a card that they could
recommend?

I've looked around for a description of the tg3 driver (with eg a supported
card list) but am having some difficulty finding one.  There's lots of
discussion of the tg3 vs broadcom drivers with various motherboards and
cards but I can't find anything with much with an xseries involved.  I'm
wondering if perhaps it just doesn't support it (yet?).

> Be aware that if you do not use a RAID controller in these machines, the
> hostraid solution on the Adaptec card renders the discs useless too.

I'm not sure I understand you here.  We just configured the on-board
hardware RAID controller with the cdrom provided and moved on.  Do you mean
we'll run into problems if I try not to use RAID and just have two disks?

Gavin