Re: kernel headers package

mandag 14 februar 2005, 11:17, skrev Gavin McCullagh:
> Hi,
>
> I recently installed Skolelinux onto an IBM xSeries 336 dual xeon server.
>
>   http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/xseries/x336.html
>
> The iso image I used was downloaded from the Skolelinux site and named:
>
>   debian-edu_woody-i386-1.0r1+di_rc2.iso
>
> The install went fine except the network cards (2x broadcom gigabit) were
> not recognised.  I didn't have time to fix this at the time but I initially
> thought that the tg3 driver would work for these.  Apparently 'modprobe
> tg3' fails complaining that no such device is present.
>
> It may be that the latest tg3 driver in the 2.6 kernel does support this
> but for now it appears I'll need to compile the proprietary driver to get
> it up on the network.  The difficulty is that the above iso doesn't seem to
> include a kernel-headers package to compile against.  Is this a deliberate
> decision?  If so, it makes it quite difficult to deal with a situation
> where one must compile a kernel module to get on the network.
>
> The kernel image is:
>

> /cdrom/dists/woody/local/binary-i386/non-official/kernel-image-2.4.26-1-386
>_2.4.26-2.skolelinux.1_i386.deb
>
> Where would I get a kernel headers package to match this?  Does anyone know
> of a free driver that works with these cards?

I am afraid I don't. I have seen exactly the same result on an IBM 226, which
is a similar machine just down-market. So it would be interesting to know if
there are any simple solutions. Be aware that if you do not use a RAID
controller in these machines, the hostraid solution on the Adaptec card
renders the discs useless too.

--
Ragnar Wisløff