Re: Summary of last week's meeting with eZ.

On 06-02-2005 23:19, Ralf Gesel|ensetter wrote:
> Dear Alex,
>
> thank you very much for your thorough summary of the talks we had at
> Ulsrud. Push and pull factors for a possible migration from plone to
> eZ /ee-zee/ Publish are made clear.
>
> Am Samstag, 5. Februar 2005 17:52 schrieb Jonas Smedegaard:
>
>>On 05-02-2005 16:58, Alex Brasetvik wrote:
>>
>>>The reason why we are considering to switch from Plone[2] is that
>>>we have some issues -- mainly in the workflow -- with Plone today,
>>>which eZ is able to remedy. Unless you can get hold of free
>>>professional support from developers behind another CMS in
>>>question, we aren't interested in doing yet another CMS-debate.
>>
>>Why all the arguments and the long mail, if there is no room for
>>debate?
>

> Dear Jonas, as you mention below, there have been debates - and at some
> point a decision has to be made; not by Alex for himself (he certainly
> wouldn't like the idea), but (as mostly within open source developing)
> by those who _do_ it, after all. As I agree with Alex: If there is a
> chance to get comparable professional assistance with any other CMS,
> the destination of the considered migration might be discussed.
>
>>And where are the results of earlier debates?
>

> This thread just started a 2nd round of discussing the migration. That's
> surely a major goal of Alex's posting ;)

I suspect the arguments by Alex here and at the meeting is meant only as
explanations for a switch to eZ Publish already decided off our lists by
a smaller group of people (the "we" Alex refers to above).

I interpret Alex as saying (in the last sentence of the quote above)
that "we" will not participate with further constructive input if his
post turns into yet another debate.

Please prove me wrong.

What I propose is a debate not (at first) about specific
implementations, but on needed features (were Alex' input on concrete
experiences with Plone is relevant input). Also, I propose debating pros
and cons of using same system for the organisation as for the schools.
Alternatively I ask for pointers to results of earlier such debates, as
I (too) find repetition annoying and irrelevant.

Kind regards,

 - Jonas

- --