Re: New SkoleLinux Installation

On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 06:23:54PM -1000, Michael Bishop wrote:
> We are planning on trying out the Sarge-based SkoleLinux on our large
> lab server and creating smaller terminal servers throughout the school.
>
> I found the sarge-cd directory on ftp.skolelinux.no, but which ISO
> should we install from?

I'll rearrange the list a bit

- debian-edu_sarge-powerpc.iso
Yes, this is an image built for a powerPC server or workstation. I have
only tested this on a pegasos box - his is where I have built this
image. Read the very limited howto about problems posisble problems on
 http://developer.skolelinux.no/dokumentasjon/debian-edu_sarge_powerpc_installation.txt

- sarge-i386-1.raw

This image is autobuilt every time something is changed. It is this one
that we are going to use on a regular basis, as soon as this is tested
and we know that it kind of works.

- debian-edu_sarge-i386-latest.iso
- sarge-i386-bzzware.raw

These two is actually the same Image - I did mistake when I moved the
later into place, so I have to remvoe that one. Remember to restart the
server after the installation is done. A short description on how to
fix this image can be found at
 http://developer.skolelinux.no/dokumentasjon/debian-edu_sarge_installation.txt

> Does the presence of a powerpc iso mean we can use PPC servers as well?

Yes - powerPC is kind of working. You will have to do manual
partitioning since autopartkit is not working with kernel 2.6 (lvm2
issue) and this image is 2.6 kernel only.

--
Finn-Arne Johansen
faj@bzz.no