Can not create user accounts or change passwords

Hello,

We use in our school Skolelinux 1.0, I have regularly updated the server
with apt-get upgrade.

Quite a long time everything works fine, we could create new users, change
passwords (with webmin and the  "Skolelinux User administration").

No I can not create an user account. The error message is:
--
off for security reasons.</p><p>Please set the password for your samba
-'ldap admin dn' via 'smbpasswd -w yourpassword'"</p>

Error; User account not created
--

The package education-main-server has the Version number
0.764.skolelinux.156,

What can I do? I have tried the following steps:

I have changed with ldapppasswd the smbadmin-account and changed with
smbpasswd -w the Samba-Admin-Account:

ldappasswd -x -ZZ -D cn=admin,ou=people,dc=skole,dc=skolelinux,dc=no \
-W cn=smbadmin,ou=people,dc=skole,dc=skolelinux,dc=no

Then:
smbpasswd -w [generated password]

The result: Nothing changed! The error message is the same.

My question is: what should I do now?
I thought I can remove slapd and education-main-server and then reinstall
it, but what configuration-files should I save?

Please help me, it is urgent! :-/

Greetings, Martin Kurz