Re: eZ in Debian-Edu and on skolelinux.org?

On 21-01-2005 14:12, Bård Farstad wrote:
>>>This is actually what we have started on. It is a customized eZ publish
>>>package for educational use. When installed this is a ready to use, out
>>>of the box, solution for the schools. You can then upload a school logo
>>>and then you are done.
>>
>>It does not sound to me like you agree, Bård and Herman (and please
>>mention who you quote, Bård):
>>
>>I believe Herman suggests making an ez-edu package that _depends_ on and
>>extends the more generic one. I agree with that approach.
>>
>>It sounds like Bård _abandons_ the generic package and makes a parallel
>>educational one from scratch. I am aware that you probably want to
>>abandon the current ez 2.x package and instead work on a newer core, but
>>please do not aim for Skolelinux only: It will then be less relevant for
>>adoption in Debian.
>
> Jonas: Ok, sorry if I was unclear. The way I see this packaged is like a
> custom eZ publish debian package. This can be a separate debian package, but
> it does not need to.

It makes sense to make an independent package from scratch now that no
official Debian package exist (of eZ 3.x) to lean on.

Ideally Skolelinux use only official Debian packages. So let's discuss
packages that can be adopted (by me or other official Debian developers)
for inclusion in Debian.

> You can ship several configurations (packages) with the
> eZ publish release package. Basically you want a package which is ready to
> use for the educational use. This can simply be a parameter to the debian
> package to choose a specific kickstart file (which templates, design and
> content to use).

Agree.

> We would both want to have a general package for eZ publish and debian _and_ a
> package specific for educational use. This can be either one .deb package or
> two. I don't think I'm the right person to answer which one is best. Mabye a
> small eZpublish education addon package for the general eZ publish package
> with the .edu package having dependencies on the eZ publish package.

If the change is only parameters to configuration files then a single
package with debconf'ified options is best.

If an isolated set of files (like a "theme" og "plugin") enables
educational feeatures then it may make sense to put them in a separate
package and do some clever registration between the packages to make the
core package adapt when the addon package is installed (see packages
horde2 and imp3 for an example).

> 3.x and 2.x are very different but I'm not an expert on debian packages so I'm
> not sure how much the current 2.x package can be re-used.

I don't believe it possible to upgrade an eZ 2.x site to eZ 3.x, if that
is what you mean.

I assume we are talking about eZ 3.x only here (similarly to the move
from horde and imp - that has since been removed from the distribution -
to horde2 and imp3).

 - Jonas

- --