Re: Fwd: Sarge - Installation stops at sd_mod

C. Gatzemeier wrote:
Am Wednesday 22 December 2004 21:29 schrieb Finn-Arne Johansen:
autopartkit now will create better partitions sizes, but you dont
really want a huge home0.
What are the reasons behind splitting home?

I was not around when the decisions were made but I can give you the
reasons why I think it's sensible to split and relocate home

First - Why not use the default /home ?

Well /home is fine for a single fileserver, but lets say that you want
to have a single installation that handles many schools. Lets think of
an installation that is meant for kindergarden, primary school,
secondary school and highschool. all this is served from one single
installation, were the actual servers are is of lesser importance.
/skole/  - that is our top share, from  were other things are shared out
   kindergarden/
      children/
      staff/
   primary/
      year98/
      year97/
      year96/
      year95/
      year94/
      year93/
      year92/
      teacher/
      staff/
   secondary/
      year91/
      year90/
      year89/
      teacher/
      staff/
   high/
      stud07/
      stud06/
      stud05/
      teacher/
      staff/

Now; where the primary, secondary and high shares are located is of
lesser importance. They may very well be on the local server on the
school. Now what about moving the pupils born in 1989 up to high school
next summer. No problem - on the main server, just unmount the share
from under secondary, and remount the share under high. well. there has
to be some logic there as well, and you really have to think about how
to handle mail and how to fix backups and so on, and how to do the
things in the ldap directory. Some people are working on cerebrum for
these kind of things, but I doubt that cerebrum handles moving of data
around. I'm not even sure we want to move things around, but hey, having
these things figured out really helps to get things organized.

Well I think that kind of explains why I think we should splitt home,
but actually, dont use home0, use some other name for it. That will help
you at the end of the schoolyear.

// FAJ