Re: Problems with distribution skolelinux

onsdag 29 september 2004, 11:37, skrev Adrián Staffolani:
> We are probed skolelinux in cities from Santa Fe, Argentina.

Tank you for sending this e-mail about some problems when installing and
using Skolelinux. Hopefully my answers are useful. I sent a copy to the
debian-edu-list. All the Skolelinux-developers is gathered here, and
they can supplementary answers if I'm saying something wrong, as I
somethimes do :-)

> We are encountered this problems:
>
> 1) The text between applications based on deferents libraries can't be
> copied. e.g : between mozilla and openoffice or betwen konqueror and
> openoffice

Pure text should be possible to cut & paste with the mouse buttons (mark
the text with the left button and past with the one in the middle)?
Pictures and graphics are more difficult. Unfortunately the answer you
want is still a further ahead ... It's two initiatives that should
address our problem:

1) The freedesktop.org project
    http://wiki.kdenews.org/tiki-index.php?page=Freedesktop%
3A+Compatibility+between+Desktop+Environments
    http://freedesktop.org/Main/MissionStatement

2) OpenOffice.org: KDE Integration project
    http://dot.kde.org/1071245692/

So this is an application issue where KDE and GNOME developers work
together solving the cut & paste issue - and more. Unfortunately, even
if we upgrade to the newest version of OpenOffice, KDE or GNOME - the
cut & paste issue has to be solved higher up in the application stack,
working together with the participants in the freedesktop.org-project.

> 2) The partition /usr is too small and it doesn't allow installation
> of more programs.

This is an embarrassing bug has been solved in the patch level 1 of
Skolelinux (patch level 1 is not released yet)
http://developer.skolelinux.no/info/cdbygging/news.html

> 3) The fonts don't have anti-aliasing and not very clear.

This was new to me, as we have installed Skolelinux in many schools i
Norway. Could you somehow tell some more about how your settings are,
and a little about the monitors and graphics card that are in use?
Somebody else has probably some experiences on this to!

> 4) It should have openoffice 1.1, mozilla 1.7 or firefox 0.9 and kd3

We have already an installable daily build of the next generation of
Skolelinux based on sarge. It need more testing for two reasons:

1) The teachers have no time to handle downtime, or instability
  when using software. Then we have to base our solution on
  well tested, and rock solid software that is patched for security.
  Debian Woody have security patches, Debian testing (has not yet :-).
  We working on it!
  http://developer.skolelinux.no/info/prosjektet/avtaler/work-joey-hess.txt

 2) We really need more testing before releasing the
  sarge-based version of Skolelinux. Last test I did
  worked with Finn-Arnes version:
  ftp://ftp.skolelinux.no/tmp/faj_sarge/sarge-debian-edu-i386_20040923.iso
  Joey Hess works
  ftp://ftp.skolelinux.no/cd-sarge/
  Debian sarge has still some release critical bugs to sort out
  http://bugs.debian.org/release-critical/

> Thanks you.

Thank you for your feedback that helps us doing Skolelinux/debian-edu a
better project. Do you have the possibility to join the debian-edu
mailinglist?

http://lists.debian.org/debian-edu/

A guide how to join :-)
http://developer.skolelinux.no/artikler/join_the_skolelinux_effort.html