Re: FAQ splinters

Hi,

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Ralf Gesel|ensetter wrote:

> Q: How to enable mouse wheel on thin clients?
> A: Change PS/2 to ImPS/2 on LTSP, file /etc/ltsp/lts.conf

What happens if the users have PS/2, Logitech or other mice on their
network too?  Might this be better set per host in webmin->ltsp?

This also raises a rather important FAQ question.  I'd like an answer from
those who have run training courses.  I assume this issue must be addressed
there.

  How should a relatively new administrator edit config files?

very few answers occur to me:

  1. su root and use a text based editor (eg vim, nano, emacs-nox, jed, ...)
  2. Login to KDE as root (I don't think this is a good idea).
  3. They don't.
  4. Something else?

As I'm sure you all know, they can't use an editor from the K Menu as
permissions will not allow it.  They can't su root and start an X-based
editor either (X security prevents this).

If the FAQ just says "edit /etc/ltsp/lts.conf", this will be a major cul de
sac for new admins.

What do the administration courses recommend?

Gavin