Re: Webmin packages orphaned, new maintainer is needed

Am Wednesday 15 September 2004 11:44 schrieb Finn-Arne Johansen:

> Another way to solve the orphaned packages is to build or own control
> application. There are several reasons to do so:

Some people already started looking into it. It's a pretty common need not
only for CDDs.

"dcontrol" aims for it. Info can also be found on
http://wiki.debian.net/DebianControlCenter and a initial draft is on
http://wiki.debian.net/DcontrolDraft

A mailing list has also been created.

>  - some thinks that perl sucks
>  - Some of the modules we use really needs some cutomization anyway
>    (nfs-export, dhcp ++)
>  - A lot of things is missing
>  - Another framework than webmin may attract new developers
>
> I guess there is plenty of other reasons.
>
> If we look at what we actually uses in webmin:
>  module     webmin/debian-edu  Comment
>  wlus       debian-edu         well, we need it to be faster, but it
>                                gets the job done
>  wln        debian-edu         maybe it needs to interact with dhcp and
>                                nfs-export (automount info in ldap)
>  nfs-export webmin             see above
>  dhcp       webmin             see above, there is also a dependecy
>                                problem with this one
>  squid      webmin             Needs to interact with
>                                netgroups/userlist/ip-segments
>  nagios     n/a                Well nagios has kind of a status page,
>                                but you need to edit text-files to actually
>                                change anything
>  domain/network n/a            We need the possibility to change
>                                "everything about the installation". New
>                                domain name, new IPRange for backbone..

There may not be a drop in replacement for all this now. Working towards a
good configuration system as dcontrol mid-term looks like a good idea to me
though.

Kind Regards,
Christian