Re: FAQ splinters

Hi Gavin,

thank you for raising your question. I also wonder why root cannot start kedit
or the like from konsole when the KDE session belongs to a mortal user.

Am Samstag 25 September 2004 14:19 schrieb Gavin McCullagh:
> As I'm sure you all know, they can't use an editor from the K Menu as
> permissions will not allow it.  They can't su root and start an X-based
> editor either (X security prevents this).
>
> If the FAQ just says "edit /etc/ltsp/lts.conf", this will be a major cul de
> sac for new admins.
>
> What do the administration courses recommend?

For beginners, out of the set of available X-less text editors, mcedit is the
one to prefer. It's the one that goes witch midnight commander (mc) which
must be apt-get installed as it is not installed by default.

Within Kde, you can even interact with mcedit through your mouse, it is very
alike "edit" for Dos.

X or not, for administrators who mess around in config files there is a need
for an editor tool that not only allows to change files' contents, but at the
same time logs the changes (changelog) in some central place and keeps
backups (revision control like cvs). All this must be easier to use than cvs,
kind of seemingless. Maybe there is already such tool?

Regards
Ralf